Can finding solutions to climate change be…fun?? It can if you make it into a “carnival” for the community. The inaugural Columbia County Climate Carnival will be held at the Columbia County Fairgrounds in Chatham, NY, on Saturday, July 16, 2022, from 10am to 4pm. Admission is FREE.
This first-ever “Climate Carnival” will include:
• A Repair Café – Fixers will repair lamps, jewelry, clothing, vases, bikes, small appliances + knife sharpening (web sign-ups encouraged).
• A “Free Store” – Take home gently used clothing, kids’ stuff, home goods, sporting goods…
• Renewable Energy Education – Learn about clean energies available right here in Columbia County.
• Bike Recycling – Get a bike. Save on gas.
• Composting – How to do it; where to do it; why to do it.
• Perennial wildflowers and “biochar” – For pollinating + sequestering carbon.
• Live Birds of Prey Exhibitions and a Beekeeper – We’re not the only ones who live on this Earth.
• Children’s programming – Provided by the Columbia County Library Association and the Southern Vermont Natural History Museum.
• PLUS: Music! Entertainment! Food! – Bands playing throughout the day. A live, interactive “quiz.” Food trucks.
This is a Columbia County event, put on by the Climate Smart Communities Task Force and
organized by a committee of volunteers in several towns across the county, from both public
and private organizations.
Columbia County Board of Supervisors Chairman Matt Murell explains, “The Climate Smart
Committee was appointed by the Board of Supervisors and advises the Board on climate related
issues. We are hopeful that our community comes out for the Climate Carnival, as there
will be events for both children and adults. As Wendell Berry stated, ‘The Earth is what we all
have in common.’”
One of the Climate Carnival’s organizers is Tistrya Houghtling, the New Lebanon Town
Supervisor (and minority leader on the County Board of Supervisors). She shares, “I am so
excited for this event! It will be great to be able to come together as a community and learn how
to advocate for and protect our planet, while having a family fun day full of hands-on interactive
displays, music, and presentations. Add in the ability to get my broken things fixed at the Repair
Café, go home with a new bike or get my bike fixed or tuned up, and get new clothes and
children’s items from the Free Store, and it is sure to be a great day for all!”
Individuals or organizations who would like contribute to, take part in, or volunteer at this event
can go to http://ClimateCarnival.org , or send an email to [email protected]
Our website: ClimateCarnival.org
Celebrate. Educate. Motivate.
We would like to thank our gracious sponsors, Columbia Land Conservancy, Partners for
Climate Action, Community Advocates, Casella Resource Solutions, Neighborhood Sun,
Arthur’s Point Farm, Basilica Hudson, and Jolene Race.